Spiced Brandy Pumpkin Soup
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 (15 oz) cans pumpkin
- 4 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)**
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-n-half
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp brandy or liqueur of choice ( limoncello adds sweet tartness )
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.Add pumpkin and chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Repurposed from this original recipe: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spicy_pumpkin_soup
2 cups raw cashews (Soaked and drained. Think infused for the truly creative)
1/2 cup water (use soaked nut brine)
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt (salt to taste)
1/4 cup lemon juice (orange juice for a warmer flavor ) or be creative with pineapple or mango juice.
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Add the drained cashews, pumpkin, maple syrup, lemon juice, oil, salt and spices to a food processor or high speed blender. Add the water in a few splashes at a time. Process the mixture into a thick texture – a bit thicker than hummus.
Plating. Serve warm. Or chilled. Your options. Including a drizzle of infused oil ( think walnut oil ).
yummm……buttery butterscotch + pumpkin. A sweet twist.
- 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping, divided
Transfer to individual serving dishes. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with remaining whipped topping. Yield: 4 servings.